Although today Chora church building dates from XI-XIV centuries, the original church was originally built in the fourteenth century by Constantine the Great. Besides the attractive exterior, interior frescoes mozaicele and art of Byzantine Renaissance period. Mozaicele of the two lobbies infatisandu church's biblical scenes contain the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ.
The two domes of the host entry portraits of ancestors of Jesus to Adam, a series of paintings of the Virgin Mary and youth living Savior. The church has three mosaics: Saviour, the Virgin Mary in a position of professor and Mary sleeping (he was just above the main door).
In the south of the church was the chapel where the tombs are imperial family. In the chapel are some of the best preserved mosaics from that time. When the church was converted into a mosque in the early XVI century, mozaicele and frescoes were covered with lime but since 1950 they have been restored and cleaned by the Byzantine Institute of America. The building served as a mosque over four centuries and was declared a museum in 1948, becoming an attraction for many guests travel including brand, such as Emperor Wilhelm II.
By Maria Morari
The best places to visit in Istanbul, Turkey .