Erected by Cadolingi of Montecascioli, Castle Bibbione is documented in ancient manuscripts from the year 997 by the name of "Castrum Bibionis".
Equipped with a wall, which in the past served as a final defense for its inhabitants, the castle dominates a medieval village and ancient houses along the hillside of St. Angelo, in the Chianti, whose lands they reach the underlying Cassia and the river Pesa.
In 1511, Niccolo Machiavelli Bibbione bought the Castle, using it as a hunting lodge. His family remained in possession of the estate of Bibbione for several centuries, until 700, during which the family possessions passed Rangoni.
By Maria Morari
Others from The most beautiful castles in Tuscany
The most beautiful castles in Tuscany