|The Big Square
The Square was first mentioned in 1411 as a corn market. Starting from the 16th century the market became the center of the ancient citadel. The public executions and the public meetings were held here. For hundreds of years it was calledthe Grosser Ring or Grosser Platz, between wars to King Ferdinand, the Communists called it the Republic, and in 1990 returned to the original name. The market has a length of 142 m and 93 m in width,it is one of the largest in Transylvania. The sout...
|The Evangelical Cathedral
The Evangelical Cathedral of Sibiu has had several features over the time, but for surely has been described as "the most remarkable building of Sibiu". Emil Sigerius, great scientist called it "a true memorial house" of Transylvanian Saxons.Today however it is much more than all this: it is the symbol of Sibiu. The church is best known for its impressive organ, the largest organ in SE Europe.In summer, during June-September eva...
|The Ursuline Church
The Ursuline Church history begins around 1479, when the building was built by the monks. After a period of time the Gothic church was converted into a Baroque building. The most impressive element is however the Gothic portal on the western façade. The interior is similar with a typical baroque church hall, but the elegance wrought iron balcony on the south wall of the choir and the huge arcade allows the access to the sacristy, which is reached in a chapel perp...