Besides Salzburg Fortress Hohensalzburg and the Duomo, the Residenz Palace is probably the most important and historic sightseeing in Salzburg. This baroque palace was the official residence of the Prince Archbishop of Salzburg until the city became part of Austria.
The place where today is located in Salzburg Residenz Palace was originally a simple bishop residence dating from the year 1120. Court and related buildings have been modified repeatedly in the 15th and 16th centuries. The building today is almost the same as that begun in the reign of Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau around 1600 when he commanded some major changes to buildings at the Residenz. Wolf Dietrich's reign, the main courts, and Market Square Residentzplatz Domplaz Hall Carabinierisaal, and ties to church Franziskanerkirche arches were built or rebuilt.
Prince Archbishop Guidobald Graf Thun added a floor main building to allow the Residenz Palace to harmonize visually with the Salzburg Cathedral. In 1710 the façade was renovated under Prince Archbishop Franz Anton Harrach after a draft Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt's.
Prince Archbishop Hieronymus Colloredo of the planned reconstruction of the west wing neo-classicism, but only Toskanatrakt wing has been altered. Franziskanerkirche church and destruction of parts of the building Dietrichsruh was not accomplished because of excessive cost of the project.
During the 19th century Residenz Palace was temporarily used as a private palace of some members of the royal family and the Austrian Habsburg-Toskana line. Today, the Residenz Palace contains art collection called "Residenzgalerie" and is used by the University of Salzburg Salzburg Festival but in time. Certain areas of the Residenz palace can be rented for special occasions.
Prince Archbishop Hieronymus Colloredo Toskanatrakt ordered the lifting wing to take place under his wings the old Wolf Dietrich. Slabs from Toskanatrakt has decorations around the windows dating from the 18th century. North wing has arches and columns between the two floors that were built in the early 17th century. Southeast corner dates back to the first buildings in the Residenz Palace and stairs for example dates from around 1600. So Hall called "Steinsall" on the first floor has some special decorations from 18th and 19th centuries and the apartment "Toskana" on the second floor ceiling and the walls are decorated in 1862. Toskanatrakt wing is now used by the Faculty of Law at the University of Salzburg.
Rittersaal Carabinierisaal Halls and rooms are two important and representative of the Residenz palace. Are called "glorious rooms" and can be viewed with audio guide. Carabinierisaal Hall was used as a normal room for those who guarded him well for the Prince Archbishop theater and banquet. Was built first in 1600, then enlarged in 1660 and redecorated in 1689. The three panels on the ceiling represents the four elements and were created in 1689 by JM Rottmayr: Neptune who commands the wind (air and water), hunting wild boar in Caledonia (earth) and Vulcanus's workshop (fire). Small art works are the four gods of wind. The four gates are made of marble and dates from around 1610.
Carabinierisaal located right next to Rittersall, where one can admire the paintings on the ceiling depict scenes from the life of Alexander the Great. Taming the main work horse is faithful Alexander Bucefal. And these works are all painted by JM Rottmayr. Gate dates from 1770 and is connected with Salzburg Residenz Palace Dom.
Residenz palace has an art gallery consisting primarily of Baroque paintings. Gallery can be visited separately from the palace and its museum status.
By Maria Morari
The best places to visit in Salzburg, Austria .